Tuesday, October 07, 2008

The Beautiful Marlborough Sounds



The Interislands backing into the ferry terminal at Picton, we live on the side of the hill to the left.

The ferry in the distance down the Queen Charlotte Sound, it is just turning into Tory Channel.


Peeping through the ferns at the beautiful Schoolhouse Bay.
an aerial view showing some of the inlets off the main Sound.

The clear clean glassy waters of the sea on a good day, looking at Allports Island.

The Beautiful Marlborough Sounds.


I have added a interesting slide show of the Marlborough Sounds, but although these are very good photos, they are not mainly mine, so I though I would put some of my pictures on the site. These will all be of the Queen Charlotte Sounds; there are several other parts ie Kenepouru Sounds, Makau Sounds, Tennison Inlet, Port Underwood Sounds, Fresh Pass, Endeavour Inlet, Tory Channel, Pelorus Sounds and Grove Arm to name most of them. The Queen Charlotte Sound is the longest and is the Sound that the ferry from the North Island cruises down after entering Tory Channel. The ferry sails between Wellington and Picton several times a day, there are actually two different companys with two big ships each. The Interislander and the Bluebridge, both are roll-on-roll-off car ferries, but they also carry trucks and also train carriages.


Picton is a major tourist destination, a cute little town and it is where we are lucky enough to live.

6 comments:

Roan said...

You do live in a beautiful part of the world. Loved the slide show. I've tagged you for a meme if you want to play along. Hope you are having a good week. BJ

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Wow! I'm from Nebraska, and just a year ago in June, DH and I went to the Outer Banks to see the ocean for the first time ever. I just loved it, but now with gas prices so high, don't know if we will make it back. I look at the Avalon Piercam every day.

Your area is breathtakingly beautiful! Where are you from originally? Sue

Anonymous said...

Wow I think your pictures are beautiful. I wish I lived closer to the ocean. I really miss it.

Charolette said...

Thank you for your comment on my little Rozie. I love the pictures on your blog they are so Pretty.
I hope that some day my husband and I will be able to travel. Please keep in touch

Charolette said...

I have a silly question for you how do you sent it up so that people can follow your blog? You asked me what we went hunting for and it was Elk & Deer. We love to to camping and hunny we also dont ruf it we have a trailer. We also have some toys to go ride.

Blogger said...

Are you paying more than $5 / pack of cigarettes? I'm buying all my cigarettes at Duty Free Depot and I'm saving over 60%.